TravelerVoice


living in the United Arab Emirates


Click here for Orisi's Blah Blah Blah - Audiobook, book and Movie blog


Click here for Photographically Challenged



Followers

Things we love about UAE

  • Arabic language
  • All female beaches
  • Family friendly
  • Home comforts readily available
  • Hearing the adhaan
  • Halal food!
  • Sun, sun and sun!
Powered by Blogger.

Monday 17 October 2011

Fog, Baskin Robbins and a fabulous bed!

Baby-Zanga has decided that she likes to wake up at 6 in the morning for some milk. I, of course, am not impressed, but get up anyway and go and make her some 'num-na' before she screams the whole apartment block down! She sips at it and then falls back asleep... I lay awake feeling grumpy!

This morning though, I woke up to find a thick blanket (more like a quilt cover) of fog outside my window. It was eerie! Apparently it is quite normal to experience fog a few times a month. In fact, Camel Man was telling me that over here they have such thing as 'fog days'. Kinda like how we have 'snow days' in the UK, where children do not have to go to school, or are able to go in late. It seems that the school does not want to risk any sort of horrendous, fog-related accident by a parent or their children.


Last night we decided to take a trip over to Baskin Robbins - which is about 20 minutes walk away (though nobody walks here in Abu Dhabi it seems. Far too hot!) I have to say, I have no idea how I lived my life without know Baskin Robbins. Baskin Robbins - I salute you. This is controversial, I know, but Ben & Jerry's... you are like the most over-rated ice cream I have ever eaten! In fact, I remember one day (as a teen) that it was the coolest thing ever to eat 'Ben & Jerry's' and then I tried it - and was very disappointed. I was not disappointed by Baskin Robbins. So there.


On a lighter note, Ikea has actually reached my 'Wall of Awesomeness'. Not only did they deliver our bed, head board and kitchen top table on time, but also sent two very efficient workers to fix it all together. Congrats and a huzzah for you! We are thrilled with the results and even more thrilled to actually be sleeping in a bed tonight (we had been sleeping on a matress parked on the floor). So, little by little our house is becoming a home. The best part about the bed isn't actually the bed itself, but rather the head board which we bought seperately. Inside the headboard are two side table things on wheels, with glass tops that you can wheel out when you want them out, or put away when you need the space. You can pull them out a little... or pull them out a lot! I heart them very much.


I also went to the right mall for abayah shopping. We didn't get much time in there unfortunately, but definately plan on going there again to hopefully find something that makes me go 'woooow.' The cuts that I tried on today were not to my liking - but then again, I rushed it all. So we shall see if I am able to find anything that calls to me (for anybody interested, the mall was the Madinat Zayed Shopping & Gold Centre).

No comments:

Post a Comment